Fashion History & Design Cultures
Tuesdays, 9.00AM - 12.00PM / July 31 - September 25
In this 3 month short course you will learn how the social, political and technological factors of the 20th Century impacted fashion development and demand.
This is a fashion history course with a twist. Chart real world examples of top design influencers throughout the past 150 years and explore how what we wear is so much more than fabric. Our clothes hide the history of the world!
Plus build your industry contacts with markers and finishers for the fashion and clothing industry in Melbourne.
This course comprises an accredited unit from our Diploma of Fashion Design & Merchandising. Upon completion, students will be issued with a Statement of Attainment that can be used towards credit points for future studies.
What we cover
You will learn:
- Identify the function of clothing
- Analyse 20th Century influences on the role of design and designers themselves
- Investigate and present information on major events and influencers on the fashion industry of the 20th Century
- Assess fashion influences across the decades
- Communicate design concepts and production requirements
- Develop and maintain effective industry networks
Your final outcome will be to design a Contemporary Fashion Collection:
- Students to showcase their design and inspiration ideas visually in the form of a Mood and Story boards
- It is a hybrid concept that will bring together inspiration from the past and trends of the future
- The folio of work should clearly show your reference and inspiration (historical and modern)
- The journal should also contain design development (loads of brainstorming and fashion roughs) for a 5 outfit capsule collection
Prior Skills & Preparation
No Prior Skills Necessary! Just an interest in fashion and how culture impacts what we wear.